My Cart

Close

FAQ

Are our products safe for humans and wildlife?
Chemicals can disrupt the natural environment of your pond and harm animals that use it as a source of drinking water and can be harmful for people using the waterbody. That’s why at Pond Supply we believe in using only environmentally friendly products. All of the products we sell to you when used in accordance to label directions are all natural and free of harmful chemicals so it’s safe for you and all animals. In fact, our products and systems are actually beneficial for the pond habitat and organisms.  
 


What causes lake and pond muck?
Muck is that slimy squishy black material on the bottom of your pond or lakeshore. It may come from many sources such as excess feed, dead plants, decomposed algae blooms, tree leaves, and fish waste.  
 


How do you handle lake and pond muck?
The best way to eliminate lake and pond muck is to add a safe, all-natural bacteria treatment that digests organic muck at the lake and pond bottom. Our product Muck Away is specifically designed to do just that. You simply toss the Muck Away pellets into the waterbody, they will sink into the muck and start working to break down the muck present there. Installing aeration also will help reduce the muck as the additional dissolved oxygen will provide an extra boost for beneficial bacteria to work at removing the muck.


Should I use bluestone (copper sulfate) in my waterbody?
NO! Here are ten reasons why:


1. It doesn’t treat the causes of algae in your pond. When it is applied to an infected water location it can treat only the visible symptoms of algae. Instead of targeting the nutrients that cause the algae to grow in the first place, it only targets algae itself. For this reason, copper sulfate becomes ineffective—it kills the algae, which then sinks to the bottom of the pond where it decays and releases additional toxins which can create more blooms, essentially resulting in a larger problem than you started with.
2. It is toxic to humans. When used to combat algae blooms in water, copper sulfate can create a hazard to humans. Since copper sulfate is easily absorbed through the skin, those that dispense it must be extremely cautious to avoid even minimal skin contact with it. If contact occurs, it can cause itching and permanent yellow discoloration of the skin. Additionally, if ingested (through inhalation of the powder or through drinking it) copper sulfate can cause immediate vomiting, and if retained in the stomach: unconsciousness, burning pain, nausea, diarrhea, headache, shock, and unconsciousness. These risks are documented by the EPA who have classified copper sulfate as a class 1-highly toxic chemical, which requires a poison warning displayed on all labels. Ultimately, copper sulfate is an unnecessary risk to those who dispense it. The potential damage to human health far outweighs the benefits of curing an algae bloom.
3. It is more likely to contribute to rebound blooms. It quickly sinks once applied to water, which causes it to accumulate as a heavy metal precipitate. This accumulation of copper sulfate and the decaying algae leads to the release of toxins and can result in the accumulated mass to resurface or “rebound” to levels similar, or higher, than the original bloom. It also accelerates the recycling of phosphorus which can promote algae blooms as well. Thus, using copper sulfate will create more work in the end.
4. It does not biodegrade. As stated above, copper sulfate accumulates as a heavy metal precipitate once it is applied to water. Because of this, it does not biodegrade. A buildup of copper sulfate can lead to a sterile water bottom, which can decrease and kill beneficial bacteria. It is not natural and cannot be removed without the assistance of other chemicals or treatments.
5. It is detrimental to plant and aquatic life. The accumulation of copper sulfate after application can create a sterile water bottom where important nutrients and bacteria that fish and other aquatic life need are killed off. Copper sulfate can weaken the aquatic food chain by killing off weaker fish who need the nutrients to survive, this leads to overpopulation of some species for short periods of time (until they die off because they are without a food source). It also creates over-oxygenated water which can also cause plants to die. Lastly, animals that drink from this water may be at increased risk of injury or death.
6. Its buildup is expensive to dispose of. Once a buildup of copper sulfate occurs, it may be considered hazardous waste. When disposal is required, this hazardous waste status can make it more expense to get rid of, due to requiring professional cleanup.
7. It can make water runoff hazardous. Copper sulfate is known to build up once used, and can cause runoff water to become potentially hazardous to those who encounter it. Water that has been contaminated with copper sulfate can be harmful to crops, animals, and people. For this reason, copper sulfate is an unnecessary danger.
8. City and state officials are concerned about the safety of copper sulfate use. Concerns about the effects of copper sulfate on human and animal health have considerably changed the views of province legislatures and cities about its use. Ultimately, provinces want a solution that will provide them with more positives than negatives, and it will not do that.
9. It is highly corrosive. Another issue with copper sulfate is that it is highly corrosive to steel, iron, and galvanized pipes. It cannot be stored in metal containers and must only come in contact with stainless steel, monel, or plastic. Copper sulfate’s corrosive nature makes it incompatible with cost-effective methods for storage and thus becomes more of a nuisance to use than a benefit.
10. There are better solutions. Instead of using a chemical that causes damage to the environment and to yourself, you can use environmentally safe products that will not only get to the root of the problem but will make your waterbody beautiful just the same as bluestone would have.


 
Why should I avoid using chemicals?
Using chemicals can make your pond clear but can harm fish and plants. Algaecides upset your biology and really are a bandaid fix. Our products get to the root of the problem, creating a healthier, more sustainable body of water.
 


How long does it take to remove the muck buildup in my waterbody?
Depending on how much muck buildup you have on your waterbody will determine how long it will take to reduce the muck completely. However, under ideal conditions the MuckAway can reduce up to 2” of muck a month.


 
When do I stop treatment?
Our bacteria products should be used in water temperatures 10 °C and above. Therefore begin treatment in spring, continue throughout the summer months and then stop in the fall when temperatures reach 10 °C or below.

 

How do I store my water treatment products?

If you use any of our products throughout the summer months, and then have left over at the end of the season. You can simply store it and use it in the next season.  Just bring the product indoors for the winter and dont allow it to freeze.